Discuss all Coaster related News in this forum
Simba
Site Admin
Site Admin
Favourite Coaster: The Swarm (TP)
Favourite Theme Park: Thorpe Park

THE SMILER CRASH!

Postby Simba » Tue Jun 02, 2015 5:56 pm

THE SMILER AND SAW THE RIDE AT THORPE PARK CLOSED INDEFINITELY!!!
Update 05/06/2015 - 13:00: Merlin Entertainments have taken the decision to have The Smiler to be closed indefintely, with rumours circuling that it could be scrapped after the terrible accident.
Merlin have also taken the descion to close Saw The Ride a Gestlauer Euro-Figther located at Thorpe Park, Surrey until futhur notice since the accident on Tuesday and Chessington World Of Adventures have also temporarily closed two of their main rollercoasters Dragon's Fury and Rattlesnake.

Update 07/06/15 - 18:00Alton Towers will reopen on Monday 8th June, however X-Sector and Sonic Spinball will remain closed untill further notice while The Smiler investigation continues.

Alton Towers' record breaking 14 inversion rollercoaster The Smiler suffered a two train collision at 14:09BST, 16 riders were on board the train which crashed into an empty one which had valleyed in the Batwing inversion (inversion 5 and and 6) before the vertical lifthill. It is believed that the four riders in the front row of the train that crashed into the valleyed one (Two men aged 27 and 18 and two females aged 19 and 17) have suffered serious injuries and are being airliffted to hospital by West Midlands Ambulance Service. Currently the X-Sector area of the Park is clossed off, while the rescueing and evacuation of the riders takes place, and is expected to remain closed tomorrow (3rd June 2015).
Eyewitness reported hearing "screaming and shouting" and "a loud crash" when the collision occurred. Ellis Dyson, 23, who was in the queue for the ride, added: "The ride was delayed because of a technical fault for a while and then the ride came back on. They sent a carriage without any people on it first and then sent a carriage with people on and that was the one that crashed. The platform of the ride where we were vibrated and a massive loud crash."

This is the seventh incident which The Smiler has suffered from since it's delayed opened in 2013, and it is the third incident in which a train has valleyed in the batwing inversion.

Update 02/06/2015 - 20:18: The decision has been taken that Alton Towers theme park will not open tomorrow Wednesday 3rd June following the dreadful incident on The Smiler today. All guests with pre-booked tickets, or those who arrive at the theme park, will have the choice of either having their tickets revalidated for an alternative date or a full refund.

Update 03/06/2015 - 13:00: Nick Varney, chief executive of Merlin Entertainments which runs the attraction, said investigators are now looking at the possible cause of the incident.

Mr Varney told BBC News:
At this moment in time I just thought the closure of the park was the right thing to do yesterday. It was an unusual and very tragic accident.Today we will take a more measured view of what was going on and whether it was specific to just the Smiler and take a view about opening Alton Towers.

I and the whole team are totally devastated by what happened yesterday.

The Smiler is a relatively new ride, all rides have teething problems when they open. Guest safety on those sorts of incidents is not really a major issue in the sense that when you're on a rollercoaster car, the car can't come off the track and you are restrained in the seats and when you have a glitch and the ride stops, it's not really an issue of safety to the riders. What happened yesterday is something that there are other fail-safes for. There are other braking locks that should stop two cars being on the same track, but that didn't work the way it was supposed to."

Two men aged 27 and 18 and two females aged 19 and 17 suffered serious leg injuries in the crash and were airlifted to major trauma centres, but one of them was later released. The other tweleve riders of The Smiler were six men and six women required medical treatment, including a man in his 20s who suffered neck and abdominal injuries. Some of the riders were stuck in the ride for more than four hours as emergency services provided urgent medical treatment.

Update 03/06/15 - 15:15: Alton Towers is to remain closed on 4th June 2015 following yesterdays incident on The Smiler

Update 04/06/15 - 16:30: Alton Towers is to remain closed for a third consective day tomorrow Friday 5th June 2015 following Tuesdays incident on The Smiler. The four seriously injured riders are still in hospital, and they have all been named: They were Joe Pugh, 18, and his girlfriend Leah Washington, 17, both from Barnsley, South Yorkshire, 27-year-old Daniel Thorpe from Buxton in Derbyshire, and 19-year-old Vicky Balch, who is believed to be from Leyland in Lancashire.

Mr Varney has expanded more on when the possiblity of Alton Towers will happen.
At this point I don't know if it was a technological or a human error. We want to know if this issue is just isolated to The Smiler and that we can't open again until we're sure.

Update 06/06/15 - 12:00: Alton Towers will remain closed on today Saturday 6th June and tomorrow Sunday 7th June which will be the fifth consecutive day that the Park has been closed

More News To Follow

Videos:

Simba - Coaster Zone Administrator
Most rides on The Swarm: 86 (24/08/2015)
The Swarm - Coaster Count 2016 (28)
The Swarm - Coaster Count 2015 (232)
The Swarm - Coaster Count 2014 (92)
The Swarm - Coaster Count 2013 (76)
The Swarm - Coaster Count 2012 (28)
The Swarm - Total Coaster Count (456)

Important Links
Coaster Zone Rules
Staff Contact Infomation
Coaster Of The Month
Look at all this amazing Coastery stuff in my profile :)
You can easily add yours in the UCP
Thekingin64
Site Moderator
Site Moderator
Favourite Coaster: Taron
Favourite Water Ride: Valhalla @ PBB
Favourite Theme Park: Phantasialand

Re: BREAKING NEWS: THE SMILER CRASH!

Postby Thekingin64 » Tue Jun 02, 2015 6:34 pm

This does sound terrible but hopefully the injuries aren't to serious.

BBC News article: http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-32980354?o ... %3FSThisFB
(I realise this and avatar are currently broken, working on getting it fixed)
My Facebook- Please tell me your username when trying to add me
Simba
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby Simba » Tue Jun 02, 2015 6:40 pm

Yeah this is terrible news, and I mean rollercoasters are ridden by thousands of people in the worl everyday, and this is such an odd occurance. More gutted now as I am going to be going to Alton Towers in July and was hoping to ride The Smiler.

Important Links
Coaster Zone Rules
Staff Contact Infomation
Coaster Of The Month
Thekingin64
Site Moderator
Site Moderator
Favourite Coaster: Taron
Favourite Water Ride: Valhalla @ PBB
Favourite Theme Park: Phantasialand

Postby Thekingin64 » Tue Jun 02, 2015 7:17 pm

As long as no-one is too badly injured, it should easily be back open by late July.

Aerial footage with interview with an eyewitness: http://snpy.tv/1I9rwQW
(I realise this and avatar are currently broken, working on getting it fixed)
My Facebook- Please tell me your username when trying to add me
Eclipse
Favourite Coaster: Leviathan (CW)

Postby Eclipse » Tue Jun 02, 2015 8:24 pm

Oh dear this really isn't good, I feel sorry for all of the people who whitnessed this accident. I now know what coaster I am nominating for this months COTM.
Fear the power of ten at Thorpe Park
Kumali
Favourite Coaster: Swarm (TP)
Favourite Water Ride: Tidal Wave (TP)
Favourite Theme Park: Flamingoland

Postby Kumali » Tue Jun 02, 2015 8:47 pm

Sheesh, that is bad! Hope everyone's ok! I bet Gerstlauer are regretting building it now!
Dalek Sec
Favourite Coaster: Nemesis

Postby Dalek Sec » Tue Jun 02, 2015 8:53 pm

Well I don't think they will regret building it, as it is one of their iconic rollercoasters, okay maybe sometimes for the wrong reason but one think is for certian is that this news has completely overshadowed it's second birthday which was two days ago (31st May 2013).
The Banshee will rise!
Kumali
Favourite Coaster: Swarm (TP)
Favourite Water Ride: Tidal Wave (TP)
Favourite Theme Park: Flamingoland

Postby Kumali » Tue Jun 02, 2015 9:25 pm

True, but it has still had 7 pretty major incidents in it's 2 years of operating and not forgetting it opening 2 months late due to technical issues. The early faults can be classed as small teething errors in the system but anything after the first year is something wrong with the system.
Simba
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby Simba » Tue Jun 02, 2015 9:30 pm

In all fairness to Towers, the delayed opening was because of the first incident, and last season The Smiler did not have any incidents, so I guess the time was up and it needed have one, but it is such a shame that it has happened this devastatingly, as well as to cause the whole park to be closed tomorrow (3rd June 2015), but that was probably always going to be inevitable after this kind of incident.

Important Links
Coaster Zone Rules
Staff Contact Infomation
Coaster Of The Month
Eclipse
Favourite Coaster: Leviathan (CW)

Postby Eclipse » Tue Jun 02, 2015 9:49 pm

I think the park has done the right thing by having the park closed tomorrow, as this means they can start their investiagation of The Smilier without having to worry about people looking at the coaster, or taking pictures of it, I think if the park re-opens on Thursday the X-Sector area will most likely remain closed.
Fear the power of ten at Thorpe Park

Return to “Coaster News”