[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/phpbb/session.php on line 590: sizeof(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/phpbb/session.php on line 646: sizeof(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 472: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 472: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 368: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 368: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 113: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 5129: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3839)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 5129: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3839)
The Smiler (Alton Towers) - Coaster Zone: The Rollercoaster Social Network

The Smiler (Alton Towers)

Talk about a specific coaster in this forum
Simba
Site Admin
Site Admin
Favourite Coaster: Wicker Man (AT)
Favourite Water Ride: RIP Bubbleworks (CWOA)
Favourite Theme Park: Alton Towers

The Smiler (Alton Towers)

Postby Simba » Fri May 31, 2013 12:02 pm

The Smiler is a steel roller coaster, manufactured by Gerstlauer and located at Alton Towers in Staffordshire, United Kingdom. The Smiler was scheduled to open in March but after delays they announced it would be opening on the 23rd May. With even more delays and problems The Smiler was delayed until today, where they had a soft opening. The Smiler has taken the inversion record from Colossus located at Thorpe Park with 14 inversions.

I can't wait till I get down to Alton Towers and experience this world beating rollercoaster.

It also looks amazing when it duels, lets hope they can get the timing sorted so that it constantly duels.

Simba - Coaster Zone Administrator
Most rides on Icon (BPB): 32 (8/10/18)
Most rides on The Swarm (TP): 86 (24/08/2015)
Wicker Man - Coaster Ride Count: 2019 (13)
Previous End Of Season Total Ride Counts On Wicker Man:
2018 (46)
Wicker Man - Grand Total Coaster Ride Count (59)

Important Links

Look at all this amazing Coastery stuff in my profile :)
You can easily add yours in the UCP
Thekingin64
Site Moderator
Site Moderator
Favourite Coaster: Taron
Favourite Water Ride: Valhalla @ PBB
Favourite Theme Park: Phantasialand

Re: The Smiler (Alton Towers)

Postby Thekingin64 » Fri May 31, 2013 12:59 pm

This ride does look amazing and do want to ride it. Even though I live local enough to go tomorrow or whenever but I think I will hold off for a bit to let the queues die down. I don't really want to wait in a 2 hour plus queue.

New signs are showing the ministry of joy have been behind x-sector all along.

Simba
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby Simba » Fri May 31, 2013 1:40 pm

The well known enthusiast Shawn Sanbrooke, was lucky to be on the first public train of The Smiler and also on the front row.

And that sign is brilliant, I had a massive feeling that a descriptive sign like that was going to be made by Towers.

2018 (46)

Important Links

Dalek Sec
CZ: Coaster Master
Favourite Coaster: Nemesis
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1107: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Postby Dalek Sec » Sat Jun 01, 2013 10:05 am

I rode The Smiler yesterday and it is absolutely amazing and is now my third favourite rollercoaster, however I do fear that the coaster won't age well. It has at least successfully brought new life into the X-Sector area of the park, and there was a real buzz around the area.
I also found out from some senior members of staff at Towers that The Smiler was never planned to duel.
The Banshee will rise!
Simba
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby Simba » Sat Jun 01, 2013 10:58 am

2018 (46)

Important Links

Dalek Sec
Favourite Coaster: Nemesis
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1107: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Postby Dalek Sec » Sat Jun 01, 2013 7:00 pm

I managed to get on The Smiler twice, I entered the queue line instantly after I heard the rumors of it opening at the park's entrance and I was on the 10th public train of operation, and as the extended the opening of the park by half an hour, I joined The Smiler queue right before they closed it's line for my second go on it.
Sadly I wasn't able to take any pictures or record the coaster, as I didn't expect it to be open, however Shawn Sanbrooke did.

However off and onride videos of this coaster, don't really do The Smiler any justice.
The Banshee will rise!
Simba
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby Simba » Sat Jun 01, 2013 7:08 pm

Shawn Sanbrooke does do very good videos, he got some nice dueling action.
CoasterForce's Furie was at Alton Towers today, and also recorded an off ride video.

I can't wait to ride this, but haven't yet set a date for it yet, but I will hold of for a little so that it can work in any bugs it may have.

2018 (46)

Important Links

CoasterGeek
CZ: Coaster Youngling
CZ: Coaster Youngling
Favourite Coaster: The Swarm
Favourite Water Ride: Dragons falls
Favourite Theme Park: Thorpe park

Postby CoasterGeek » Sun Jun 02, 2013 6:14 am

Does anyone know how many people have been sick on the smiler already?
Simba
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby Simba » Sun Jun 02, 2013 10:31 am

I don't think we will ever know a real number, however I reckon a few have already probably been sick on it, especially if they have eaten before they ride, but considering it has had over 2 hours queues since opening, all food would have probably settled.

2018 (46)

Important Links

Thekingin64
Site Moderator
Site Moderator
Favourite Coaster: Taron
Favourite Water Ride: Valhalla @ PBB
Favourite Theme Park: Phantasialand

Postby Thekingin64 » Sun Jun 02, 2013 2:06 pm

CF's Mushroom was also on that first train! (second row, far right) Would have loved to be on that train but I didn't have any idea when it was opening. Plus, by the time I got there, There would have been too many people there.

Return to “Coaster Discussion”